Tax season is here: filing options for Stuttgart community members

Stock Photo by Natee Meepian via Shutterstock.

USAG Stuttgart Public Affairs Office

STUTTGART, Germany — Although Army Legal Assistance Centers have discontinued routine tax preparation services, Stuttgart community members still have access to free preparation and filing methods, as well as paid commercial options. Regardless of the method, individuals remain responsible for filing a complete and accurate return.

Per Army Regulation 27-3, surviving dependent Family Members of military members who died on active duty (Gold Star Families) are still eligible for routine tax preparation services through their local Legal Assistance office.

The 2024 tax filing season begins Jan. 29, and for most taxpayers the deadline is April 15, 2024. U.S. citizens living abroad are granted an automatic two-month extension, with further extensions possible on request.

From the IRS:

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15, and the automatic extended due date would be June 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day.

Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Filing options available to Stuttgart military community members include:

MilTax for Service Members and Families

  • MilTax is a free service for Service Members provided by the DoD through Military OneSource. It’s built to account for deployments, combat and training pay, housing and rentals, multistate filings, living OCONUS and more. MilTax also provides free one-on-one help from tax professionals with special training in military-specific tax situations in case of any questions. Learn more about the program here.
Click to visit MilTax

IRS Free File

The IRS Free File Program is a public-private partnership between the IRS and many tax preparation and filing software industry companies who provide their online tax preparation and filing for free. It provides two ways for taxpayers to prepare and file their federal income tax online for free:

  • Guided Tax Preparation provides free online tax preparation and filing at an IRS partner site. Our partners deliver this service at no cost to qualifying taxpayers. Taxpayers whose Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $79,000 or less qualify for a free federal tax return.
  • Free File Fillable Forms are electronic federal tax forms, equivalent to a paper 1040 form. You should know how to prepare your own tax return using form instructions and IRS publications if needed. It provides a free option to taxpayers whose AGI is greater than $79,000.

Some IRS Free File Program partner companies offer free state tax preparation, while others may charge a fee. Be sure to read each company’s information carefully.

Please note: the U.S. Army does not endorse any specific commercial tax preparation service.

Other free and reduced price virtual options exist for Service Members and Civilians. Please ensure you read all relevant information about fees and included services.

On-Post Paid Services (H&R Block)


Documents you will need to file your taxes

When using any tax preparation software or paid service, you will need to have certain documents available. For service members using software, it is likely you will need your prior year return to set up an account. Once you created an account, follow the prompts to input data from your current year tax documents. Finally, use your prior year return to check your current return. Remember to include all bank and interest bearing accounts, student loan interest, childcare expenses and taxable information.

  • Social Security Card/SSNs (or ITIN) for all persons claimed on the tax return
  • Form W-2: Shows the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes
  • Form 1098: Real estate tax documents including mortgage interest statements
  • Form 1099: Alimony, child support or related payment agreements, interest and dividends, earnings from self-employment
  • Any other documents indicating earned income, such as scholarships
  • Any documented income from rental properties
  • Records of moving expenses related to a new military assignment, retirement, separation and etc.
  • Receipts/documentation for deductibles
  • Child and dependent care information