USAG Stuttgart Safety Office
As students and teachers begin a new academic year, the U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart Safety Office reminds motorists to drive with caution, particularly when traveling through school zones or near bus stops.
Basic back-to-school safety tips for motorists:
Drivers should exercise extra caution during the period when school begins, especially during the morning commute from 7:15-8:30 a.m. and the afternoon dismissal period from 2:30-2:45 p.m.
All drivers must obey the posted speed limits.
Be aware that children, especially those 12 years old and younger, are not always aware of their surroundings and assume that drivers will stop for them.
Youngsters may dart into the road without first looking for traffic.
Tips for parents and their students:
• Plan a walking route to school or the bus stop.
• Walk the route with your child beforehand.
• Teach your child never to talk to strangers.
• Be sure your child walks to and from school with a sibling, friend or neighbor.
• Teach your kids — whether walking, biking, or riding the bus to school — to obey all traffic signals.
For more back to school safety tips, visit the National Safety Council at www.nsc.org.