By Rachele Pezzuti
USAG Stuttgart Public Affairs
Panzer PX Main Entrance
Building 2949 (MP Station) Entrance
The restrictions put on everyone in an effort to mitigate the corona virus pandemic are affecting older people particularly hard. Senior citizens in assisted living and nursing homes are not able to have their families visit them or go outside for walks which is creating a sense of loneliness.
The Sindelfingen city administration is reaching out to its youth to write, paint or draw positive posters and letters to help its senior citizens overcome their loneliness. The city’s motto for this effort is: “Giving Joy to Seniors” and the hope is that the colorful artwork and positive messages will bring a smile and sense of hope to senior citizens during these challenging times.
The U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart is providing information on this effort. If interested, Garrison youth can participate in the “Giving Joy to Seniors” effort. Information below outlines suggestions on possible artwork and messages.
Art work ideas and content suggestions:
- Drawings could include English and German vocabulary (for example a drawing of an apple should include the words ” apple” and “Apfel”)
- Two sentences on experiences in Germany (for example: “I like Stuttgart because of my German friends, I like living here because of the nice forests.” etc…)
- Photos can also be provided
- Tell a little bit about yourself or draw a picture of you and your family naming each family member (for example: “I am Tom this is my sister Laura and we love to play games or ride our bikes)
- Write something in German introducing yourself (“Hello my name is Marcus, I am 10 years old and I like to play soccer. My favorite dish is lasagna and I like to play video games,) or maybe write some encouraging words in your letters (for example: “life is beautiful, smile today, you are not alone, choose to smile today, remember me.”)
If you are interested in creating artwork in support of this effort, the artwork can be dropped off at the Military Police Station in Bldg. 4929 on Panzer Kaserne, the Patch and Kelley gas stations, and the Panzer PX main entrance. The deadline is May 13.
The U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart, Public Affairs Office will collect the artworks and then deliver them to the Sindelfingen city administration for further delivery to the various senior citizen facilities in Sindelfingen, Maichingen and Darmsheim.
NOTE: Sharing of this effort should not be construed as an endorsement by the DoD of the subject initiative or the City of Sindelfingen; it is being provided for informational purposes only.