This year’s festivities don’t have to negatively impact our environment. Here are some easy tips to “green” the holiday season.
• Create holiday decorations from old greeting cards or cookie dough, and garland from strung popcorn or cranberries.
• Turn off or unplug holiday lights during the day. Doing so will not only save energy, but will also help your lights last longer.
• Think “green” while shopping. Try to buy items with minimal packaging and/or made with recycled content.
• Look for gifts that embody the concept of reuse, such as swings made from used tires and wooden toys made from scrap wood.
• Wrap gifts in recycled or reused wrapping paper or newspapers. Also remember to save or recycle used wrapping paper.
• Bake cookies or other goodies for friends and loved ones and package them in reusable and/or recyclable containers as gifts.
• If you host a party, set the table with cloth napkins and reusable dishes, glasses and silverware.
• Compost leftover food scraps and leaves.
After parties, fill your dishwasher to capacity before running it. You will run fewer cycles, which saves energy.
Source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency