All kind of creatures are protected by Germany’s Nature Protection Law, even wasps, bees and hornets. Killing these insects without reason is prohibited.
To help prevent conflicts:
- Don’t attack the bees, wasps or hornets. Avoid quick movements.
- Don’t destroy the nest. If located on an installation, contact the Directorate of Public Works Environmental Division at 421-6130/civ. 0711-7228-6130, or the fire department.
- Perspiration attracts bees and wasps, so be careful when outside.
- Keep dumpsters closed and clean; tightly close garbage bags.
- When eating outdoors, cover food and drinks.
- Attract and distract bees or wasps by placing a glass filled with apple juice a safe distance away from you.
- Try this preventive measure: Wasps don’t like strong smells. Use lemon slices with cloves or burn coffee powder.