Story by USAG Stuttgart Public affairs
The fourth of July is going off with a bang despite the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions in Stuttgart.
“Things will look a little different this year with the need for social distancing” Corey Schwab, FMWR Operations Officer said. “The good news is we will be having fireworks on all installations.”
Stuttgart FMWR is leading an all day virtual celebration between 9 a.m. – 11 p.m.
To join the fun head over to Stuttgart MWR on Facebook where they will be virtually holding a 5k Freedom run, a bike decorating competition, custom festival set sweepstakes and a live band. More information can be found on the FMWR website.
Fireworks viewing information:
The highlight of the Independence Day Celebration will be a firework show held on all four installations; Patch Barracks, Panzer Kaserne, Kelley Barracks, and Robinson Barracks. Fireworks will take place at 10:30 p.m. and there will be strict procedures in place:
- Individuals must wear masks if physical distancing cannot be maintained
- There is no visitor sign in after 9 p.m.
- There will be no entry to installation during the fireworks (10.30 to 10.45 p.m)
- Parking is first come first serve and lots will be closed once full
- Limited public restrooms available.
- Husky field running track (not the field) will be available as a viewing area
Tune into AFN Stuttgart Around 22:25 listen and sing the National Anthem before the fireworks. AFN will play music synchronized to the fireworks over AFN the Eagle 102.3.
- The fireworks will be launched from the PX car park; as a result the parking lot will close and cars must be removed 3-4 July for set up and the debris fall out of the display. The parking behind the MP building will also be unavailable.
- Main parking for the evening will be in the hotel parking lot and at the high school, you are encouraged to watch the fireworks from your parking place.
- Other viewing areas include the turf field by the bowling alley and outside the hotel.
- Please follow all MP instructions for ingress and egress from the area. The back gate will also be open for exit only.
- Restroom is the ACS building – 2915 until 10.30p.m. and the Galaxy Bowling Center until 8 p.m.
- The fireworks will be launched from Washington Square.
- Husky field running track will be available as a viewing area, but the field is closed for maintenance.
- Residents are encouraged to watch the fireworks from the areas around their apartment buildings.
- People coming from off base to watch fireworks are not allowed to park in residential housing areas.
- Workers who are working July 4th are encouraged to park in New Jersey Strasse.
- Egress on the day will be one way only, please follow all direction from MP’s
- Restrooms are available at Patch Community Club and Patch Shoppette (Until 8.pm.)
- The fireworks will be launched from the big parking lot, as a result, there is no parking available here.
- Kelley viewing areas are the housing areas.
- Due to the lack of parking, people who do not live on Kelley are discouraged from travelling there to watch the fireworks.
- Restrooms available at the Kelley club
- Fireworks will be launched from the big field.
- Parking is at the commissary and school, housing areas and fitness center.
- Viewing areas are in housing areas around Korber Str. and Leutenbacher Str.
- Restrooms available at the RB Zentrum