Ask a JAG: Filing claims for PCS damages

A moving truck is unloaded as a family moves into their new home. The Army’s Center for Personnel Claims Support office will held expedite claims for property damaged during such moves. Courtesy photo

By Capt. Evan C. Freemyer
Chief, Client Services
Stuttgart Law Center

With the end of PCS season on the horizon, many newcomers to USAG Stuttgart turn their attention to damaged or missing items during their move.

If any of your property was damaged or is missing, you are eligible to receive the full replacement value or repair cost if you submit a notice of loss to your transportation service provider (TSP) in the United States within 75 days.  If you have submitted a notice of loss or damage (NOLD), then you will have nine months from the day of delivery to submit the actual claim to the TSP because the NOLD is not the actual claim.

Once you submit a NOLD within 75 days, you have two years from the day of delivery to file a claim with the Military Claims Office (MCO) for depreciated value. If you decide to transfer your claim in DPS to the MCO, you will have to submit a claim to the MCO.

The steps to submit a NOLD and a claim, please go to and sign in to Defense Personal Property System (DPS), if you have any difficulties with the website, please call the help desk number listed on their website. You can also find instructions if you scroll down to “Settling In”.

For service specific guidance, please go to and scroll to the very bottom of the page and select your branch of service for additional move-related information and resources.

To file a claim with the Army MCO, please log into: follow instructions. Make sure to attach as many substantiating documents as possible. PCS Orders (SSN redacted), shipping documents, complete inventory, pictures, purchase receipts and credit card statements are just a few of the substantiating documents you could submit on DPS.

If this is a privately owned vehicle (POV) then you will have to annotate all new damages to the POV on the Vehicle Inspection and Shipping Form (VISF) during your inspection at the Vehicle Processing Center on Panzer Kaserne. Any damage found after you drive off the military installation is presumed not to be shipment related. If you find additional shipment related damage within a few hours after leaving the Vehicle Processing Center, please report if immediately. If you did not accept an on-site settlement for minor damages, please submit your repair cost estimate for the shipment damages to the IAL representative at the VPC on Panzer. IAL is the TSP of your POV and you can file a claim directly with them.

Need legal advice?
This column is not intended as individual or specific legal advice. If you have specific issues or concerns, visit the Stuttgart Legal Assistance Office in Bldg. 3312, Kelley Barracks; call 421-4152 or 0711-729-4152, or email You can also request an appointment through the USAG Stuttgart mobile app or click here.