USAG Stuttgart Safety Office
As students and teachers begin a new academic year Aug. 26, the U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart Safety Office reminds motorists to drive with caution, particularly when traveling through school zones or near bus stops.
Basic back-to-school safety tips for motorists:
• Drivers should exercise extra caution during the period when school begins, especially during the morning commute from 7:15-8:30 a.m. and the afternoon dismissal period from 2:30-2:45 p.m.
• All drivers must obey the posted speed limits.
• Be aware that children, especially those 12 years old and younger, are not always aware of their surroundings and assume that drivers will stop for them.
• Youngsters may dart into the road without first looking for traffic.
Tips for traveling to and from school:
• Plan a walking route to school or the bus stop.
• Walk the route with your child beforehand.
• Teach your child never to talk to strangers.
• Be sure your child walks to and from school with a sibling, friend or neighbor.
• Teach your children — whether walking, biking or riding the bus to school — to obey all traffic signals
For more information, visit the National Safety Council.