The following information is a summary of travel regulations applicable to the Stuttgart Military Community.

All official and leisure travel is subject to DoD and Host Nation guidance and based upon unit travel and leave policies. Seek command guidance on any unit modifications to “Working Quarantine” guidelines detailed in USAG Stuttgart Quarantine and Testing Guidance.

FAQs are available for New Arrivals, Intra-European Travel, and Official or Leave Travel to the U.S.

Reference Documents and Websites for Travel

  • General Order 1C: Applicable to all members of the Stuttgart Military Community
  • Your unit/organization’s travel policy: Your unit or organization may have a policy which deviates slightly to the garrison’s policy
  • Stuttgart Army Health Clinic Quarantine and Testing Guidance: Applicable to all members of the Stuttgart Military Community
  • Re-open EU: A detailed, interactive guide provided by the European Union which details country-by-country requirements and information for travel
  • Robert Koch Institute list of “High Risk” areas: This link provides the most current listing of “High Risk” areas, as defined by the German government’s disease control and prevention institute. An English version can be found toward the bottom of the page, under “English Archive”
  • CDC Guidance on Returning to the US (for travel to CONUS): Current guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for travelers destined for the USA. The state of your final destination may also have its own requirements.

New Arrivals (PCS and TDY)

Are PCS moves still taking place?

Yes. Although U.S. citizens without European residency are not currently being allowed into the European Union for tourism or other non-essential purposes, DoD personnel undertaking PCS moves are not subject to this restriction.

What kind of documentation do I need in order to PCS?

At a minimum, orders and a military ID card. Passports are highly recommended. Dependents traveling with you should be listed on your orders by name.

What is the screening process for new arrivals? What if a family member elects not to test? What is a “working quarantine?”

Click here for a step-by-step guide to the screening process and answers to questions about testing and quarantine.

Intra-European travel

Where can I travel for leisure?

According to General Order 1C, travel is permitted to locations not forbidden by DoD or declared a high risk area by the German government. Your specific organization may have more restrictive rules.

Can I stay overnight?

Yes, provided the travel is in line with DoD and host nation rules. General Order 1C removed earlier language prohibiting overnight stays.

Which documents should I have with me when crossing borders?

Carry your passport with SOFA card/stamp, military IDs, and (if possible) PCS orders. Everyone traveling with you should be listed on the orders. Remember that you must always take your passport when crossing borders, even in the Schengen Area, where passports may not be checked.

If you are driving, you must have an International Driving Permit, as your USAREUR license is only valid in Germany. The first step to getting the IDP is with an appointment at the Driver Testing/Licensing office.

What are the quarantine requirements for driving?

There are currently no requirements to quarantine if traveling by vehicle to surrounding countries not designated high risk (check the RKI “High Risk” list).

What are the quarantine requirements for taking the train or intercity bus?

There are currently no requirements to quarantine if traveling by train or bus.

What are the quarantine requirements for flying?

UPDATE: Effective July 18, if traveling within the EU or Schengen Zone from a Host Nation-assessed green country/region (check the RKI “High Risk” list), testing is recommend, but quarantine will not be applied (in line with current host nation guidance).

Traveling by air, regardless of the risk level of the destination, subjects the traveler to a requirement to process through the clinic for COVID testing and observe the 14-day working quarantine.

Official or Leave Travel to/from the U.S.

If I leave Germany for travel to the U.S., will I be allowed back into Germany?

Yes. People with SOFA status are allowed back into the country. It’s a good idea to carry orders with you in addition to your SOFA-containing passport and military ID card. You will be subject to the military community’s testing and quarantine requirements.

Are there any quarantine requirements once I get to the U.S.?

Check the CDC’s guidelines on returning from international travel. The state into which you arrive may have its own requirements.

Can family come visit us in Germany?

In most cases, not at this time. The European Union is not currently permitting U.S. citizens without European residency to enter for “non-essential” purposes, including tourist travel.