There have been accidents resulting in serious injuries to pedestrians in the U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart area.
Pedestrians, be aware of your surroundings and follow these tips:
• Cross only at corners or properly marked crosswalks.
• Use sidewalks and designated crosswalks when available.
• Always stop at the curb, or the edge of the road, look left, then right, then left again, before stepping into the street.
• Always establish eye contact with drivers of approaching vehicles before stepping into the roadway.
• A wave or other gesture from you to the driver or vice versa might just save your life.
• Continue looking for approaching vehicles as you cross the street, and remember, walk, don’t run.
• Never step out from behind a vehicle parked on the side of the road.
• Never take chances when crossing a street. Wait until the road is clear and there is sufficient time to walk safely across the road.
• Dress to be seen. Brightly colored clothing makes it easier for drivers to see pedestrians during the daytime. At night, wear reflective material on shoes, cap or jacket.
• Headphones or earbuds are not allowed while walking, running, skateboarding and riding bikes on U.S. Army installations.
• Do not walk through any area where heavy equipment is being operated.
• Do not bypass detour signs.