By USAG Stuttgart Safety Office
Motorcycle riding season is here and now the time for motorcyclists to prepare themselves and their bikes.
Here are a few safety tips motorcyclists should follow before operating their bikes.
• Do preventive maintenance to ensure your bike is in top mechanical condition. A full tune-up and service is a good place to start.
• Get your riding skills up to par after the winter layoff.
• Be visible to other drivers by wearing high-visibility garments.
• Wear proper protective clothing such as an approved helmet with eye protection, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, full length trousers, full-fingered gloves and over-the-ankle footwear preferably made of leather with an oil resistant sole to reduce slipping hazards.
• Drive defensively and always adjust your speed for road and traffic conditions.
• Don’t drink and drive.
• Ride with a great attitude.
Riding safely is mostly a matter of knowledge and attitude, and riding safely doesn’t have to be boring. In fact, practicing safe techniques could add years of fun to your life.