Trash policy FAQs explained for on or off-post

trashPublic Affairs
USAG Stuttgart

Q: Does the trash policy include recycling?
Off-post residents will need to recycle their items in their communities. Recycling bins on the installations should be used by on-post residents only.

Q: How is the policy enforced?
Military Police patrols observing a person dumping trash will ask for identification and ask where the person resides. The patrol will verify residence information with the MP desk. If the person resides off post, the patrol will collect his or her pertinent information and forward to the Civilian Misconduct Action Authority for action. Directorate of Public Works employees will also monitor the trash islands and will report violators to the MPs.

Q: What are the consequences of not following the policy?
Under the policy, violators will receive a warning letter from the garrison commander on the first offense. With multiple offenses, violators could be ordered to complete community service or may temporarily lose installation support privileges. All off-post residents, to include service members, government civilians, local national employees, contractors and family members are subject to corrective actions outlined in the new policy.

Q: What about the financial burden off-post residents will have to face because of the change?
The policy should pose little to no financial burden to off-post residents. Civilians who receive living quarters allowance can include the costs for garbage disposal as part of their annual reconciliation. Service members living off post have a large utilities stipend as part of the overseas housing allowance that will cover the costs.  Regular trash disposal costs for the average family living off-post should not cost more €200 annually.

Q: How do we set up off-post trash service?
The process may be as easy as speaking with your landlord.  Many housing contracts have Nebenkosten, or utility costs, which includes trash as part of the agreement. If it is not included, your landlord can assist you in procuring the service.  In the absence of a landlord, a neighbor can also help.

Q: My landlord doesn’t speak English. How am I supposed to set up trash service with him/her if communication is an issue?
If there is a communication gap between you and your landlord or service provider, translation services are available on walk-in basis at Army Community Service. For more information, call 431-3362 or 07031-15-3363. The housing office may also be able to assist those with communication issues with landlords.

Q: What are on-post residents supposed to do with bulky items and hazardous materials?
On-post residents can contact DPW to schedule pick-ups of large items and to arrange the disposal of hazardous materials.

Q: Where can I find more information about the policy and how to dispose of trash off-post?
Click here for more garbage guidance.