What kind of driver’s license do I need for Germany?

Anyone arriving on permanent change of station orders falls under the Status of Forces Agreement and must have a USAREUR driver’s license to drive in Germany. The U.S. Army in Europe (USAREUR) driver’s license allows service members, civilians and their family members to drive in Germany without going through the process of attaining a local driver’s license. Additionally, you cannot legally drive a rental car while you wait for your vehicle to arrive without a USAREUR driver’s license.

It is also used as the basis for an International Driving Permit (IDP), which is required to drive in another country. An IDP alone does not give you authority to operate a USAREUR plated vehicle.

Personnel are advised to have their stateside driver’s license, ID/CAC card, and USAREUR license when driving in Germany, as well as with an International Driver’s Permit when outside the country.

To get a USAREUR driver’s license, personnel must present a stateside driver’s license and pass a test. For more information visit: https://home.army.mil/stuttgart/index.php/my-garrison/all-services/drivers-testing