Local news translated – Jan. 25

Host Nation Update, Tuesday, January 25

Editor’s Note: Off-Post COVID rules are regularly updated and consolidated on the Stuttgart Citizen’s Local Coronavirus Rules Explained page.

Corona measures in Baden-Württemberg – Kretschmann must adapt rules
Stuttgart – Following the decision by the federal and state governments to stick to the current Corona course, the Baden-Württemberg government must now adjust its rules.

Prime Minister Winfried Kretschmann (Greens) said Monday evening that it remains in the view of the rapid spread of the Omicron variant of the Coronavirus and foreseeable consequences for the hospitals with the “course of caution”.  The Green Party politician added that it will be necessary to wait and see exactly how the omicron variant will play out. 

However, the government cannot really wait. It needs to get a new Corona ordinance on the road as soon as possible. First, the old one expires at the end of January anyway, and second, the judiciary has given the government clear guidelines. At the end of last week, the Administrative Court ruled that the freezing of alert level II with strict restrictions, especially for the unvaccinated, was partly unlawful. Since hospital occupancy has recently fallen below the limit values, the state should actually have long gone back to the normal alert level – and relaxed restrictions. “we will adjust it somewhat according to the omicron variant,” Kretschmann said. What that means exactly, he did not say.

Returning to the normal alert level would mean, for example, that only 2G would apply in restaurants, rather than 2G plus. In retail, 3G would be possible again instead of 2G. It is also questionable whether clubs and bars would be allowed to reopen and whether, for example, more visitors would be allowed into the stadium again for soccer.   

First, the Ministry of Social Affairs will send its draft for the new Corona Regulation to the ministries for approval, then the cabinet will discuss it for the first time this Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, Kretschmann will inform the state parliament about the results of the conference of minister presidents and his further plans. According to reports, the decision will be made during the course of Wednesday and announced on Thursday. Then the new rules would probably apply on Friday. (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Jan 25)

Omicron update
“Omicron” is causing the number of contagions to skyrocket in the Southwest. As of 4 p.m. Monday, 877.3 infections per 100,000 residents were recorded statewide over a seven-day period. The statewide hospitalization incidence climbed to 5.0, which indicates how many Corona-infected people are hospitalized within a week and per 100,000 inhabitants. (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Jan 25)

Non-COVID related news: 

Power failure in parts of Stuttgart
Stuttgart – Once again, the lights went out in parts of Stuttgart: Due to a power outage on Monday evening, and some people in parts of Stuttgart sat at home in the dark. It was not the first time in recent weeks.  Power outages have been a recurring occurrence in the Stuttgart region recently. 

About a week ago, the power grid in the north of Stuttgart failed. According to Stuttgart Netze, the reason for the outage was a cable fault.  (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Jan 25)

Böblingen: Schwabstrasse closed from January 24 – March 7
Böblingen. The public utility company and Netze BW are laying new drinking water, gas and electricity lines. For this, Schwabstraße between Am Käppele and Achalmstraße must be fully closed in several construction phases until probably the end of April 2022. The second construction phase will be set up next Monday, January 24, and is expected to last until Monday, March 7, 2022.

The closure is located at the height of the buildings Schwabstraße 18 to 28. The detour goes via Waldburgstraße – Arnimstraße – Schwabstraße – Achalmstraße – Herrschaftsgartenstraße – Lange Straße – Am Käppele – Waldburgstraße. (BB.heute.de, Jan 23)

Sindelfingen: Forestry work on  Römerstraße
Sindelfingen. The Office for Environment of the City of Sindelfingen announces that on Thursday, January 27 and Friday, January 28 from 8:30 a.m. on Römerstraße in the area of the explosive ordnance disposal service, timber harvesting and logging operations will take place.

During the forestry operations, Römerstraße will be fully closed for a short period of time. The closures will last no longer than ten minutes and will be indicated by construction site traffic lights and warning posts. It is imperative that these be observed, as there is a danger to life on the road during the felling work. The measures will be completed by 4 p.m. at the latest. (BB.heute.de, Jan 25)

Editor’s note: Learn more about inclement weather procedures at USAG Stuttgart