Local news translated, June 2

 

Daily Host Nation Stories for June 2, 2020

COVID-19: Baden-Württemberg ‘s number of infected people is 34,787, of which 31,996 people recovered. There are currently an estimated 1,031 people now in the state. Today, June 2, 18 more cases were reported. There have been 1,760 deaths in Baden-Württemberg

Corona demonstrations peaceful

Several hundred people demonstrated again on Sunday against restrictions imposed by the state’s Corona Ordinance on the Wasen in Bad Cannstatt  . According to police, everything was peaceful in the afternoon. Hygiene and distance rules were being observed, a police spokeswoman said. The day before, there had already been a series of demonstrations with several hundred participants. Speakers demanded, among other things, the immediate opening of daycare centers and the immediate full operation of the schools. The danger of dying from Corona is now less than that of being run over by a tram, said one speaker. At another demonstration, an alliance of 25 leftwing groups from Stuttgart and the region had warned of the threat of social cuts as an economic consequence of the Corona pandemic. (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, May 31)

More than seven million people were on short-time working in May

According to calculations by the IFO Institute, 7.3 million employees in Germany were on short-time working in May. “This figure has never been higher,” says IFO labor market expert Sebastian Link. “During the financial crisis, the peak of short-time work in May 2009 was almost 1.5 million people.” In the corona crisis, companies had originally registered 10.1 million employees for short-time work. According to data from the Munich economic researchers, 71.6 percent of these were actually sent on short-time work. Employees in business-related services, industry and trade were particularly affected. (Focus, June 2)

No more riots and provocations!

What is going on in Stuttgart? Members of the “Identity Movement,” which the Office for the Protection of the Constitution classifies as extreme rightwing, occupied the DGB German workers’ council union building for a short time on Saturday, then the police had trouble disbanding two large gatherings of people in the city center on Sunday evening. The police officers were called racists and bottles were thrown at them. DGB leader Martin Kunzmann branded the action of the perpetrators as a “cowardly attack.” Even more serious was the attack by alleged leftwing perpetrators of violence, who injured a member of the works council group so badly on the edge of a demonstration, May 16, that he has been in a coma ever since. Violence must never be a means of political confrontation. Anyone who even sympathizes with it is complicit in causing harm. Heated up by the hysteria via social media, riots and provocations are becoming more and more socially acceptable. (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, June 1)

Officials surrounded by hundreds and called racists

An 18-year-old man provoked a large police operation and riots in Stuttgart after he called police during the night, saying he’d been injured with a stabbing, police announced on Sunday. When the first patrol car crews arrived in the Büchsenstrasse at 2 a.m., the officers determined that the young man was uninjured. The 18-year-old passed off his emergency call as a joke. When the officers wanted to record his personal details for faking a crime, tumultuous scenes had developed, the man resisted. Police brought him to the ground handcuffed him. In the meantime, several hundred onlookers had appeared and surrounded the officers. Among other things, the policemen were called racists. A spokesperson for the Stuttgart police said people were shouting “we’re having conditions like in the USA.”

About 30 patrol car crews were necessary to get the situation under control. According to initial investigations, the Stuttgart police headquarters assumes that the young man caused the situation intentionally. The Criminal Investigation Department, or Kripo, took over the investigation and is evaluating the body cam recordings of the officers on duty. About two hours earlier, the police had trouble disbanding a gathering of about 500 young people in the city center who had violated the corona distance rules. Bottles were thrown at police officers. (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, May 31)

Fire at Unteraichen

A large cloud of smoke near the A8 Autobahn near Leinfelden-Echterdingen attracted the attention of many motorists and residents on Tuesday morning. Shortly before 8 a.m. the police received a report of a fire in the new Daimler building on Fasanenweg in Unteraichen, Esslingen district. The fire brigade quickly located the source of the fire. A bitumen sheeting on the roof of the building had caught fire for reasons unknown so far. The rescue services extinguished the fire after about an hour. According to police on demand, the damage is estimated at 5,000 to 10,000 euros. Nobody was injured. (Stuttgarter Nachrichten, June 2)

Police warn of poisoned beverage bottles in Munich

Three customers were sickened after drinking from bottles containing deadly poison at two supermarkets in the west Munich. According to officials, the incidents occurred in March and April. A fourth bottle of poisoned beverage was found on the shelf. There was a lethal dose of a solvent in each bottle, according to the Munich police Police are investigating for attempted murder and are warning the population.. The homicide squad is investigating. According to the police, the dosage of the added poison in the bottles would have been lethal if consumed in full. There may have been other, previously unreported cases. The established 22-member special commission “Tox” is looking for other customers who may have been affected as well, but believed that the beverage they bought was simply spoiled. The Munich police advises consumers to make sure that the seal of the bottle is intact when buying drinks. Consumers should also become suspicious if the bottle contents smell strange and call the police if there is any suspicion. According to the police, the motive is currently unclear. The affected food markets belong to different retail chains. (City of Sindelfingen news release)

 Traveling on holidays in corona times

The summer is approaching and the number of cases in Europe is decreasing. However, the incidence of infections on site still influences the holiday plans of millions of people. With more than two million cases of infection and 177,000 deaths, Europe is still the world region most severely affected by the coronavirus pandemic. However, in many countries the peak seems to have passed, and concerns about further serious economic and social problems are leading to ever faster relaxation of the initially strict corona measures.

In Italy, the general protective measures to contain the wave of infection are currently in force until at least mid-June. However, hotels, shops, beaches and museums are already open. The distance rule of at least one meter still applies. From June 3, tourists from all EU countries and Great Britain can enter Italy. The restrictions on regional transport will be lifted. Depending on the “epidemiological situation”, however, new conditions could be imposed for individual areas, it is said.  Spain’s beaches open again- At the beginning of June, Spain wants to allow visits to swimming pools and beaches as well as shopping centres in other regions under certain conditions. Cinemas, theatres and lecture halls will also be allowed to reopen, but only for a clearly limited audience. Restaurants may also reopen their interiors to a limited number of guests. In France, further relaxations will then also come into force. The Parisian upscale department store Galeries Lafayette was able to open its doors to visitors again this weekend for the first time in weeks. The police department of the French capital recently cleared the way for this. The requirement was a strict hygiene concept. (Ntv, June 2)

Two seriously injured in motorcycle-bike collision

In a serious traffic accident near Sindlingen, Böblingen district, a motorcyclist and a cyclist sustained serious injuries on Sunday morning. According to the police, a 70-year-old woman was riding her pedelec (electric bicycle) on the cycle path along the K1028 towards Unterjettingen around 11:35 a.m. when she tried to cross the district road shortly after Sindlingen and collided with the 21-year-old motorcyclist. Both two-wheelers were seriously injured in the collision. The 70-year-old was taken to a clinic by rescue helicopter. According to police estimates, the total damage to property amounted to around 6,000 euros.

Road lanes on Calwer Straße will be closed

In Calwer Strasse in Böblingen, the second construction phase is being extended in the morning hours on Thursday, 4 June, to widen the cycle lanes. For this purpose, the lanes into town between Hanns-Klemm- and Talstraße will have to be closed until Monday, 15 June. Also not possible: driving from Calwer Straße into Konrad-Zuse-Straße and vice versa from Konrad-Zuse-Straße into Calwer Straße. A diversion from Dagersheim or the Hulb into the city centre via Flugfeld-Allee – Wolfgang-Brumme-Allee – Herrenberger Straße to Calwer Straße is signposted. From Konrad-Zuse-Straße the detour runs out of town via Wolfgang-Brumme-Allee and Flugfeld-Allee to Calwer Straße. Also affected by the closure is the city bus stop “Calwer Straße” in the direction of the bus station, which cannot be accessed. (Böblinger Zeitung, June 1)

Konrad-Adenauer-Straße closed June 3-4

A full closure of Konrad-Adenauer-Straße will take place between Willy-Brandt-Allee and Rudolf-Harbig-Straße, June 3 and 4, due to installing a district heating pipeline in Konrad-Adenauer-Straße, June 3.  A detour umleitung sign has been established. Traffic will be diverted via Allmendstraße and Rudolf-Harbig-Straße. The diversion route is signposted in both directions. From June 5 until July 31, the road section will be closed halfway, during this time the Konrad-Adenauer-Straße in the direction of Maichingen can be used, in the direction of Böblingen the diversion via the Allmend- and the Rudolf-Harbig-Straße is still in place. (Bavaria 24, June 2)

Tags: × × × ×